Home

Sunday 20 November 2016

Just go for it! - Painting motivation

Sat at my desk the other night fixing a broken model for a friend and figured i could start painting something while the glue dried.

My nemesis is starting something and only getting as far as priming or base coating, then loosing motivation and letting it sit in my to-do list for ever more.

My new technique is to trick my brain into powering through a model in a single sitting. it might not achieve the cleanest results, but it gets the job done and i can move on.

Last night i decided to give my X-Wing miniatures YT-1300 Millennium Falcon a bit of a custom paint job. Spurred on by the fact that mine came with this weird greenish tinge that some print runs of the X-wing mini's have, and it looks crap next to my friends.

So, from start to finish in about 2 hours (including drying) using just 3-4 paints, here we go.

First off, there is no need to prime these models, and definitely no need to strip them - I've seen some horror scenes from doing this. The factory paint job is a nice base for most jobs.


So i start with a light coat/heavy dry brush of Ulthuran Grey (which is almost white, but lets you go to white for highlights)

Then a wash of Nuln Oil, Red details in Miphiston Red, washed with Agrax Earthshade and then highlighted in the base colour. Engine weathering with Nuln Oil and Earthshade and then a bit of highlighting with the Ulthuran grey again and some clean up.

I'd say the results are 'OK' and i'm happy with that - i just need to get away from painting everything red at the moment, it seems to be my 'go to' colour!







No comments:

Post a Comment