Home

Tuesday 22 October 2019

Epic - Chaos Daemons

I've been on a bit of an eBay spree of late, but it's yielded some decent results...

I've picked up daemons for my chaos forces, most of which were painted fairly decently, meaning all that needed done/still to do is do a bit of touching up and re-base to bring them in line.

I've ended up with 3 units of Flesh Hounds, which is probably more than i'll ever field, but i'm happy to have them.

It something that still surprises me - the sheer number and variety of units that exist for each faction in Space Marine/Net Epic.

I naively assumed that i'd be able to paint up my Chaos plastics, grab a few metal models and i'd have a full army, with all the options. Where as really, all I've done is scratch the surface for some of the powers.

That said, i'm practising restraint, and in a similar fashion to my other armies, i'm drawing a line here and calling it 'done (for now)'. The big push is over and now i can spend some time hopefully playing with them, and trying out different combos, before i get the itch to add anything else to the pool.

I think this is pretty healthy. whilst i'm sure i could seek to ensure i had 3 or more of every unit, and have a complete collection with no restrictions on what to put on the table, i actually strive to not do this. It is the way i enjoyed the game as a kid, where i got to play with what ever new units my brother brought home and painted up, and after playing battle after battle, deciding on my favourites and forming a real bond with them (which is how i got back in this mess 20+ years later!).

I think this extends to lots of hobbies, and life in general. If you are given too much choice it can be overwhelming, or there could be a temptation to optimise, or 'min/max' as the kids would say.
This would lead to some things being sidelined, and never played, instead being present simply for completeness of a collection.

Once again I battle with my own conflicting desires to become more minimal/intentional in all aspects of my life Vs. being a nostalgic adult, with disposable income, part of the 'cult of the new' and trying to be a completionist.

The struggle is real!

Anyway, apologies for the psychology lecture, on to the pictures! also as an aside, i'm actually getting a game in with them this weekend, after a period of what seems like forever being a hermit, so i'll try and get some photos/after action report on that.











2 comments: