Home

Friday 30 December 2022

2022 Round up! (and a look in to 2023)

 Argh! 6 months without a post. Not great!

Hobbying over the summer was pretty light - I managed a few games of Epic which we got in the can for the Life of Die YouTube channel, and I painted a handful of minis.

November saw the start of a new project that has been burning in the back of my mind for a long time... 6mm Cold War.

I picked up a couple of job lots from eBay to get me started, then added some bits I felt were missing. The main driver though is rules. I've checked out Cold War Commander 2.0 and a few others but my real desire is to write my own set, and it's been a really interesting experience.

I went in with 0 research, only my experience of playing a lot of games and working on engineering projects as my real world job, but it really pleased me to see that after getting a lot of ideas down and stitching them together, I was very close to what looked like a playable set of rules, then this was further validated by watching the 'Rule of Carnage' podcasts where indie game designers chat, and i was unknowingly following a lot of their processes.

Anyhoo - I'm hoping to have a decent 1st draft ready shortly - selfishly designed around the minis I have and my desire to see them on the tabletop.

Other than that the year is ending with bloomin' Space Marines... 

We are starting a slow-grow OnePageRules Grimdark Future campaign set in the Badab War conflict in 40k, where lesser represented legions of space marines battle it out. Should be a good cleanser project and get me back in to the swing of painting!


In terms of 2022 hobby goals achieved... Yeah, not great!

I did at least buy very little this year, and fairly sure I painted most of it. I was sooo close to a 0 pile of shame at the end of last year that I'm a little disappointed that my collection has grown again.

There was a decent amount of gaming at least!

Plans for 2023

Badab War - paint/repaint existing 40k stuff - buy nothing!

6mm Cold War - finish the rules, paint what I have - buy nothing! (sell the excess - ended up with far too many helicopters in one job lot!)

40k Other - Still got some Eldar and the Blackstone Fortress box to crack into if I want to paint something different - buy nothing! (maybe even sell some stuff).

Bolt Action - Get more games in! still got a box full of Winter Germans, British Commandos and British Commonwealth infantry I could do something with if the notion took... Again, buy nothing!

Everything else...

I got the Flames of War 'Hit the Beach' set for Christmas. It's an amazing box, similar to the 'Open Fire' one I had years ago when I first got back into the hobby. It's staying sealed for now as I don't need another scale in my life (again!). If the rules writing bug gets me it could be a great candidate/muse for a company level WW2 game, as FoW doesn't grab me, or could be great for proper sized Bolt Action Tank War games...

Epic - keep playing. We have a docket lined out for next year for games of Net Epic gold, and some discussion for 3rd edition too.


And now, an out of context photo dump!













 

No comments:

Post a Comment